Thursday, January 23, 2014

Everything Old Is New Again....

Hi folks, thanks for coming by today :)  I have tried something I never did before.  Now I know this isn't earth shattering and that plenty of gals have been doing this quite a bit, but not me.  I love paper. It's only the last two years or so that I have finally been able to take a scissor to it and cut away.  I don't like to cover up patterned paper with paint and drips or sprays of ink or mists.  This was a great way for me to cut my teeth so to say :)  I took paper I have had for, oh I don't know, 4 years or so and that I really didn't like anymore and re-made it.  I took some gesso, added a bit of water to thin it down some and painted it over my paper.  Then I dried it with my heat gun and added another layer to it with some texture paste and stencils.  It gave it a really nice effect.  You can still see the pattern coming through a bit but that's ok.  I should have taken a pic of the paper and how it looked originally. Now I know exactly how to use paper that I really no longer like!  This will come in handy for the new challenge site that Gloria Stengel has put together, Craft Hoarders Anonymous!  Click on the title for some q-n-a's about the whole thing, fantastic way for us papercrafting hoarders to use our stash!

This layout is for Sketchabitlities Challenge.  Pop on over there to see what's doing.  You may even want to give it a go!  Here's the sketch -


Here's my take on the sketch -












This is my son John on the left and my son in law Omar on the right on my daughter Desirae and Omar's wedding day.  John was an usher. That wedding was without a doubt a wonderfully epic extravaganza!  It has made memories that we will treasure forever.  I distressed the edge of the paper and crimped it up then randomly stamped around the page with a word stamp then sprayed with Lindy's mists. The picture is layered on top of some corrugated box that I have now started saving (sure more stuff to hoard), painted white then sprayed and distressed the edges, I embossed another paper with my gears embossing folder from Darise, cut my gears with Tim's big shot die, sprayed away, added the glitter letter stickers for the title, some Tim tissue tape and a jute bow :)  I backed it on another piece of paper from 3 Birds that I got from HSN eons ago, yup using the hoard.  Whaddya think?

Products -
pattern papers
gesso
homemade texture paste
Stampin! Up stamp French Letter
Lindy Stamp Gang Sprays in -
Flat Fabio I'm Late Slate
Glitz Spritz Steel Shimmerz
Starburst Sprays Frolic in the Forest
Carpathian Bluebells
Blue Hawaiian Blue
Steampunk Sepia
Distress Inks in Black Soot and Brushed Corduroy

Considering that I never did a technique like this I really like the way it came.  Hey guess what?  No butterflies or flowers!  It's funny, since the homemade paste has baby powder, every time I use the heat gun it smells like a babies room lol.

Thanks for coming by.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, that turned out great! What a wonderful photo of John welcoming his new brother-in-law to the family.
    Love the colours, textures and layers. Great use of old, no longer loved paper, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Court :) I can't believe 2 yrs have already passed since the day!

      Doing this with my ugly paper has me stoked to have more fun :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful layout! Love the bg, gears and textures! Thanks for playing along w/sketch #107 at sketchabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... cutting your teeth you reckon... I would say you handled that like a pro. It looks wonderful and the wedding sounds fab.... love the colours of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val :) I'm happy with it. I am really trying not to be intimidated by these great techniques all you awesome artists do and getting bolder ;)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails